Thursday, November 4, 2010

BiCoastal Besties



This has been a season of traveling! I figured out I have been on a plane at least once every month so far this year. Now, I realize that may not be a lot for some, but given that all the trips have been for pleasure and I have been working full time (and a full time student up until August), that's not too bad.
A few weeks ago Paul and I took a long talked about vacation/road trip. We spent several days in LA seeing old friends, and then spent two days driving up the gorgeous highway 1 coastline to our final destination of Sacramento.

Day 1:
I flew into LA where I was greeted by old college friend/former NYC roommate Lee Champion. We played, ate lunch (next to Dylan McDermott), and did some brief LA sightseeing. That night we met up with Paul in the OC where he was hosting/performing in a star studded benefit concert.
That night we met up with another friend Damon Dodge for a good old fashioned night out. Dive bars, Cher impersonators, and street tacos- I love the West Coast!



Day 2:
Our first full day started out with meeting another old college friend/former NYC friend for a pre-brunch coffee date. It was so lovely to see Wyatt! One of the most lovely and genuine men you can imagine.
Next stop was brunch at Joans on 3rd with Paul, Lee, Damon, and NYC friend (now LA transplant) Josh Kirby. Brunch was followed by pink berry at the Beverly Center (naturally) and a day of shopping/resting/playing/happy hour at The Abbey and dinner at Bossa Nova.
At this point, I thought I was in heaven seeing so many old friends.























































That night Josh performed at The Comedy Store. He was amazing!!! (I wish I could say the same about all the comics that night). Following the show, it was the entire gang- me, Paul, Wyatt, Lee, Josh, and Damon closing down a nearby wine bar, followed by a sleepover at Josh's with conversation lasting far into the middle of the night.



































































Day 3:
The next morning Paul and I had a lovely lunch in Weest Hollywood with Josh before hitting the road (in our convertible rental). Sitting outside in 80 degree October weather certainly makes me rethink moving to the West Coast.

We drove up to Los Olivos (hello GORGEOUS DRIVE) for a quick wine tasting, followed by lunch at celebrity chef Bradley Ogden's Root 246 in cute Solvang. Of course, our luck was with us (naturally) and we made friends with the waitress. Bradley happened to be in the restaurant that day, and not only were we invited back for a tour of the kitchen, but were comped some signature dishes. At this point we knew this trip would be one for the books.






That night we drove to Cambria where we had a hotel right on the beach. After checking in, we sat in the hot tub, ate the best pizza ever, and reflected on how lucky we are.



No comments: