Sunday, July 20, 2008

4th of July- Unexpected Family Time

I love the 4th of July. Next to Christmas, it is by far my favorite holiday. Not because I am all that Patriotic (especially the past 8 years or so), but because it is a time to gather with family and friends without all the hype, cost, and stress of other holidays. Also, there is usually a bar-b-que and watermelon involved.
On Sunday June 29th I got a call from home that my Grandpa had passed away. I immediately made plans to head back to Idaho and left the following day.
It was wonderful to be home with my family- and all the extended family. I got to see cousins, enjoy the 4th with my neice and nephews, and celebrate the life of my extraordinary Grandpa.



My Grandpa, William Alexander Henderson grew up a Montana Cowboy who later served in the Navy and was at Pearl Harbor the morning of December 7, 1941. He loved rodeos, parades, and time with family. I would like to think that having his Memorial Service on July 5th and giving the entire extended family a chance to spend the 4th of July together was just one more gift for his family.

As one of the grandchildren, I was asked to speak and share some personal memories of my Grandpa. It was a great opportunity to reflect on my memories of him and share those with my family. I am sorry that I was not able to see him and say goodbye, but I am reminded how lucky I am to have such a supportive and loving family.

No comments: