Monday, March 8, 2010

Growing Pains



These past weekend was full of unexpectedness (is that a word)?
While I clearly have no concerns about my own privacy (hence, the public blog), I do try to shy away from the life details of those around me. That being said, when big life changes come to those you are closest to, one cannot help but be affected.
(was that vague enough).
It is painful to see people you love aching.

I recently read a line in a book that so adequately captured that gut wrenching emotion of helplessness when someone you love is suffering and there is nothing you can do about it.

"You want to know what helplessness is? It's listening to your inmate wife tell you about the psychopath who is terrorizing her and not being able to do a damn thing about it."

This is clearly a very detailed and unfamiliar scenario, yet I can't explain why this resonated so strongly. Perhaps it's because this past year was pretty smooth sailing for me, but more than ever it seems that people I care about were suffering through some of the most painful life events (Death of parents, children, spouses. Unemployment. Broken relationships, broken hearts, health problems, etc...).

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could actually carry some of the pain of others when they need it (and likewise, pass some of our own off when it's too much)?

No comments: