Monday, October 13, 2008

I Don't Understand.


You know how you have friends who are so much more than just friends? These are the people that you may not see that often, you might even go a year or more without even talking on the phone. However, when you do finally pick up the phone, or email, or gchat, and check in with said friend, it's like no time has passed at all.
For me, one of these friends is the remarkable Eldon Kartchner.
Eldon was one of my best friends in College. This is the man who showed up with non-drowsy Thera-flu when I was sick and had to work the graveyard shift. The same man who somehow just knew when I was having a lousy day and found the perfect things to say. This is the man who, even when I was grouchy, selfish, and arrogant stayed my friend and forgave me for acting like a spoiled brat.

After college Eldon met and married an equally beautiful and charming woman. Together they have three gorgeous children. I have only been able to spend time with Heather on a few occasions, but seriously, she is the type of person you only need to meet for a couple minutes and you are totally convinced she is spectacular. She is kind, smart, funny, personable, beautiful, and simply lovely.

This week I learned that Heather has been diagnosed with cancer (stage 3).
Their youngest is two months old.
My heart has been aching for this family and the stress and anxiety they are surely feeling.
It's hard to understand why something like this happens. I look at other friends who are coping with the loss of a child, the death of a husband, illness, divorce, losing their job, etc... and I wonder how I have managed to escape any truly devastating loss. My life is not perfect or easy (not by a long shot), but the depth of the sorrow I feel for those I love is mirrored by an intense gratitude for the full life and blessings I am experiencing.
That being said, Heather and Eldon... please know how much I love you guys and am confident that you will fight this and enjoy a complete and speedy recovery.

2 comments:

TnD said...

I am so sad for your friend. I can't imagine dealing with your spouses cancer. I usually don't promise to pray for people, because I always forget. But I will remember them and put them in my prayers.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Oh dear. This is not good news at all. I didn't know Eldon well, but always ADORED him. (still do). Do you have their email address? What type of cancer? I don't understand either karyn mann, I don't understand.