Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow


In keeping with the now three year tradition of spending Columbus Day with Jacob and Carly, we decided to do a day trip to Sleepy Hollow- home of the famous legend written by Washington Irving.
We went to the Tarrytown Cemetery (one of the oldest in the country) where we got a history lesson from a crazy old man (think the 'groundskeeper' from Scooby Doo), saw the grave of Washington Irving, and ran across the bridge made famous by Ichabod Crane trying to outrun the headless horseman.
The day also included lunch at The Horseman Cafe, a walk through some beautiful fall foliage, and finally topping it all off with a shopping trip at Target (a luxury when you live in Manhattan).
It was a fantastic day out of the city with friends, and I loved that we were already planning our next trip before we even crossed back over the Hudson River.



4 comments:

erin wilson said...

aw...I missed out this year. boo.

Macy said...

I was driving through the Hudson River valley this weekend! I bet I passed you in the car! :) Looks like a great trip. Neal and I will have to go check it out.

Jacob ben Widmar said...

Look at all these comments! I love Sleepy Hallow! I wanna throw a big Halloween party! Well not this year- but next year- have fun in Orlando- can't wait to see your blog about it

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found this in a google alert and man, am I glad I did. I love when people share their pictures. I recently posted a ton of pictures from my most recent trip to Sleepy Hollow and the cemetery. (Including some awesome pics of the cemetery after dark.) Great post. myspace.com/laverday