Thursday, October 22, 2009

The American Idol Experience

Okay, if you have been to Disney World since February 2009, you may have noticed the new American Idol attraction at Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM park). Each day 'American Idol' style auditions are held and anyone can audition with a 30 second acapella piece. During several rounds of auditions, producers narrow the participants down to a final few who go on to perform a live show that evening in a new 1000 seat theater. So there we are in the park and the four of us (Joe, Carlos, Annette, and I) decide that we really cannot pass this up. As Carlos and Joe both have professional theater experience, it was decided they would audition and Annette and I would accompany them backstage (each auditioner can bring one 'superfan' with them). However, once we got inside, Carlos bailed and physically FORCED me to audition. I (angrily and hesitantly) agreed, thinking I would sing my 30 seconds and then we would move on to the Animal Kingdom. Turns out, both Joe and I were then kept through several rounds of auditions and were chosen to return later that afternoon for hair, make-up, a vocal coaching, technical run-through, and full performance "American Idol Style" in front of a full audience. Fun, thrilling, terrifying... I cannot describe it. Sure, I was scared to death, forgot to walk to the front of the stage, and cracked on the money note- but that's not the point. It turned out to be one of the funnest ways to spend the day!!! This story will go down as one of the highlight friend events - right up there with the wedding in Costa Rica, Christmas slumber parties, and the night bus to Italy.





Here is a little video recap that was played before the audience voting (I'm SO glad that they showed the clip of my cracking on the big note). :) Sadly, neither Joe or I won, but who cares?!?!? What a blast!!!

6 comments:

Brice said...

damn...you sound awesome!

Unknown said...

You sound awesome! I am not just saying that because you are my friend. You made that song your own.
If working in social services doesn't work out thank goodness you have your singing to fall back on.

Vinnie said...

OK Karyn, who knew you could sing like that? Showtime was missing out for sure!

Anonymous said...

thats so awesome!!! go karyn. I'm so glad you did it. congrats!

Brittney said...

That's so cool! Looks like all your Bel Canto training really paid off. :) You have an awesome voice-very powerful!

TnD said...

Love this K. So glad you auditioned. Plus, I love what they did with your locks.