Friday, January 2, 2009

I'll be Home for Christmas

I have decided not to send the hateful and expletive laden letter I scripted to Delta, but just trust that traveling on a holiday weekend during a snowstorm is NOT the best way to start a vacation.
The good news is, I made it to Rexburg, Idaho after only a temporary delay.
While I was stuck in the airport, knowing I would miss my connecting flight, I felt myself getting more and more anxious and angry. In an effort to keep the 'grinch' side of me in check, I started making a list of how things could be worse. Now, I am not the worlds greatest optimist, but IT TOTALLY WORKED!
As I looked around the airport at the people who were stranded overnight, families with young children, people who were sick, in wheelchairs, travelers from foreign countries who were struggling with language barriers, etc... I realized how lucky I was to by in my situation.
Here is my partial list as written in my palm pilot:
1) I have a nice house to go home to.
2) I am going home for a celebration, not a funeral or other tragedy.
3) I have a family who loves me and is waiting for me.
4) I am traveling alone and only responsible for myself.
5) I have the physical stamina, intelligence, and ability to endure this.
6) I am frustrated, but safe and comfortable.
7) I am not sick.
8) I have a job, family, friends, and home waiting for me when this is over.
9) I got my ticket with frequent flier miles, not $$$.

I finally made it... and it was all SO worth it. Highlights include; playing left- right-center, storm dumping 30 inches of snow, Mitchell's birthday party making gingerbread houses, and the kids seeing Santa on Christmas Eve. I loved being with my family... and I LOVE my parent's new house!


No comments: