Wednesday, February 25, 2009

You CAN Fight City Hall


So, I am really not an activist, but every now and then I like to make my voice heard.
Now, I am a social worker, but more than that, I am a very fiscally conservative social worker. I support programs that are not only beneficial to individuals, but beneficial to SOCIETY. I like to think that the money being spent on social service programs is being spent WISELY.
This philosophy is what led me to City Hall last week to rally against budget cuts for housing for people who are mentally ill/formerly homeless and living with HIV/AIDS.
Bottom line: Stable housing is LESS EXPENSIVE than the costs of ER visits, nursing homes, and long or short term medical care. Supportive housing significantly reduces the costs on the judicial, medical, and other social programs. Oh, and as a side note... people are living longer healthier lives (but that is often seen as an afterthought to the money saving).
Who doesn't like saving money and living better?

No comments: