Monday, March 9, 2009

Chicago, Chicago. I Just Wanna Say...


Last weekend I was able to escape the horrible NYC winter- not for the balmy sun and beaches, but for an even colder winter vacation in Chicago. Even with the freezing temperatures, Paul, Carlos, and I still managed to have an AMAZING time.
Paul and I were scheduled to arrive in Chicago around 8pm, however, due to a delayed flight, we did not get in until close to midnight. No problem... Carlos and our dear friend Clark were waiting at the hotel for us, and fortunately, we were right next door to a Cheesecake Factory (an old favorite). The vacation started off on the right foot celebrating Carlos's Birthday with a sundae at 1am.

Thanks to Carlos's friend (and now my friend) Mark, we were able to attend not one, but TWO tapings of the Oprah show. Jennifer Hudson singing live at 8am is freaking amazing! Turns out, I am also a fan of Steve Harvey- he taught me how to "Think like a Lady, Act Like a Man." Good advice.

After the 2 Oprah tapings we took a disco nap to prepare for the nightlife. In addition to our friend Clark being in town, our friend Eddy is also living in Chicago (both performing in Mary Poppins). We met up for dinner in BoysTown and enjoyed a great dinner with drag entertainers. Always a good time.


That night was a blast with Me, Paul, Carlos, Eddy, Clark, Mark, and Kristy out and about enjoying each other- and the new friends we met at the bars. Of course, Carlos always gets a little carried away and performed a scarf dance ("I'm giving you Slumdog Millionaire") in the middle of the bar.








The next morning we enjoyed brunch with Patrick's mom. Sadly, Patrick could not join us in Chicago, but we still got some O'Brien blood representing.
We spent the day walking Miracle Mile, eating great Mexican food, and relaxing back at the hotel.


The final night in town, Paul, Carlos, and I went to the observatory at the top of the John Hancock bld for dessert and cocktails. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful weekend with my besties.

1 comment:

Jodie, Stefan and Natalia said...

hey karyn, so i'm sad you made it all the way to ChiTown and i never saw you! no, i'm glad you had a fun time. my sisters and i bought tics for my mom to see mary Poppins last weekend-- she loved it.