Saturday, March 28, 2009

That Great Day Has Finally Arrived!


When I moved to my new apartment five years ago, the neighborhood was just starting to really take shape. 107th and Columbus was too far north to be the Upper West Side, too far south to be Harlem, and too far East to be Morningside Heights.
Rather, it was just a little pocket of residential buildings and restaurants waiting to be given an identity.
I love my apartment. One block from Central Park, two blocks of 3 subway lines, and a busstop outside my front door. It's pretty perfect.
Today as I was running errands I saw something that warmed my heart and brightened my soul. I saw an outward symbol that gave my neighborhood worth.
There is was, a short 8 minute walk from my apartment... A Whole Foods Grocery Store (opening late summer 2009).
No more Central Market and Bodega grocery shopping for me!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. you are going to miss the bodegas and central market... remember when it was C-town and the produce was bad? Glad the neighborhood is shaping up! I miss that place.

Emilee said...

I love Whole Foods Market. I am jealous you will get to be so close to one.

TnD said...

Then years too late for me. I lived on 108th between Manhattan and Columbus when I first moved to NY and grocery stores pickins were slim, unless you wanted to pay an arm an a leg on Broadway or get salmonella at C-town. I am jealous, jealous, jealous. Watch out though your rent may go up.