Sunday, July 5, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust


New York is a very transient city, and living here, I have become used to friends coming and going. Sometimes (let's be honest) it's good riddance. Some folks are not cut out for city living and begin counting the days until their exit almost as soon as they arrive.
Others come to NYC to make the city their home. They put down roots, build their network, and join in the ridicule of the ones who just cannot take it.
(For the record, I fall somewhere in between... I love this city and have no immediate plans to leave. However, once my knees start to go and I can no longer tolerate 5th floor walk-ups, public transportation, and noisy neighbors- I am OUT).
This last week I had to say goodbye to my dear friends Carly and Neil (my more faithful readers may remember the blog about their SLC weddng last summer). This was a rough one. Carly has been a friend for over a decade- since the BYU days. Neil was a friend in the city and I played a big role in setting them up (Neil stole my phone and sent texts to Carly asking what she thought of him under the guise it was me). Sneaky, but effective.
They were seduced by opportunity outside the city and we had a final night of laughs and stories before their bitter departure.
While some friends come and go, these are friends I am confident I will see again.
Love you guys!

No comments: