Sunday, July 5, 2009

HIStory



It was a big week for celebrating diversity and individuality here in NYC (and around the world). On June 25th the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, made his transition (no disrespect, but I kind of thought he died like 5 years ago). In my semi-professional opinion, the man was clearly mentally ill, most definitely a severe substance abuser, and may or may not have had a string of inappropriate relationships with minors. Regardless, he sure could dance, sing, put on a spectacular show... and throughout his career, created a ridiculous amount of amazing music.
I work a block away from the famed Apollo Theater in the heart of Harlem. The streets were packed all weeks with mourners coming to pay their respects, write messages of love, and leave gifts. I have not seen anything close to this kind of memorial since 9/11. Way to steal Farrah's spotlight, MJ.


Continuing with the theme of celebrating individuality, Sunday the 27th was the annual Pride Day Parade. This year was significant as it was the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall riots of 1969 (by most accounts, the official kick off of the gay rights movement). It is sad (and a little sickening) to think that 40 years later so many of our gay brothers and sisters are still fighting for basic civil rights. Yet, I am glad to see that progress has been made and will continue until these gross inequalities are rectified.




My friend Kelsey giving ATTITUDE!

Jaslene Gonzalez- American's Next Top Model winner




Me, Clark, and Joe heading home after a long day of Pride Celebrations

2 comments:

TnD said...

I was seriously depressed for a few days after MJ died. Loved MJ.

Carlos said...

Kar!! I'm reading your blog!! Aren't you so proud of me!??! I'm doing it whilst I put the 2009 Tony Award's on DVD!! Gay, right!!

Carlos aka Poodle