Friday, April 4, 2008

Who AM ?!?!

So, it has been one week since my LASIK surgery and I have to admit, I am not convinced I made the right choice. Up until last week I was totally glasses dependant. The first thing I did in the morning was put them on, and taking them off was the last thing I did each night. I barely recognize myself in the mirror without my specs!
Prior to the procedure I had done my research- and of course by research I mean I had talked to some friends who had previously had LASIK. The overall response I got was that it was the best thing they had ever done, they had perfect vision immediately, and there was very little discomfort.
Either these people are LIARS, or I am horribly unfortunate (stop reading here if you are considering LASIK surgery).
I am pretty tough. I have a fairly high tolerance for both pain and inconvenience. I tend to deal with things pretty well. I felt pretty confident that I would handle LASIK like a pro. I was wrong.
Although the procedure was only about 15 minutes, it was the most excrutiating 15 minutes I can ever remember.
Imagine laying on a table with your eyelids clamped open, having your eyeballs polished (think mini facial microdermabrasion tool) to remove the dead cells, and then seeing your cornea being cut and a flap lifted up. After this prep work has been done, the laser does it work (the least invasive part of the procedure). Following the laser, the doctor then lays your cornea back and uses a small spatula like device to smooth it out. OVER YOUR EYEBALL!
This is all done with zero medication, anestesia, or even valium. True, there is very little pain. However, I again repeat that, among other things, they are POLISHING YOUR EYEBALL!!!
For someone who has never had so much as a contact in her eyes- this experience was the stuff nightmares are made of.
I have to say, if I walked away with clear vision, every second would be worth it. The bad news is, things are still very blurry. I can barely read at all, I can only use the computer in small doses, and it's a good thing I live in Manhattan because I could not drive in this condition.
Now I am hearing that it could take 3-6 months for vision to be restored. I find myself constantly reaching for my glasses, but they do me no good anymore.
So far all LASIK did for me was make me sore, blind, and broke.
To avoid being a total drama queen/wimp, I will say that there was very little post-op pain. Only mild irritation and discomfort. AND, if my vision really does sharpen up and I can see perfectly in a few months- I will probably agree that all the inconvenience and torture was indeed worth it.
*** The day wasn't a total bust. My friend Seth came and kept me company in the doctor's office while I waited. He came bearing fruit leather (country cranberry and mango sunrise) and following the surgery we had lunch at Mariebelles- our new hangout.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I looked into LASIK years ago in Manhattan. The cost, and chance of not having perfect vision, have kept me from it since. I was intrigued reading your exposé of the dark side of LASIK. I hope your vision got better, though.