Monday, September 8, 2008

I love the smell of pencil shavings in September

Move over kids, this old lady is going back to school!
Remember how great it was to go back-to-school shopping?
What about spending hours agonizing over which Trapper Keeper binder would BEST represent you. (for me, it was the bright pink Trapper with 'psychedelic bubbles').
I am now a couple of weeks into my grad program, and I have to say... there are some pretty striking differences from my last college experience. For example...

This is the campus of my undergrad:


This is the "campus" of Hunter College School of Social Work in NYC:


Some other differences...
At BYU, your status was determined by which apt complex you lived in. In NYC, it's which Borough you live in(Thankfully, I have upgraded from Campus Plaza to Manhattan).
At BYU I could buy cinnamon bears in the Twilight Zone to get through class. In NYC, there's a Starbucks on every corner.
At BYU I had 5 girls as roommates. In NYC I live with 2 men.
At BYU I was a student with a part time job. In NYC, I am a full time worker AND going to school full time.
At BYU I was surrounded by other students. Now, I stand alone among friends who finished grad school years ago.
At BYU I was 19 and full of energy. Now... well... I am not 19.

No comments: