Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Taste of Home in Manhattan


I love living in NYC- it's a city where you can find NEARLY everything.
However, there are certain things about my home town of Rexburg Idaho that I thought could never be duplicated.
One of my favorite Rexburg joints (and I hit it several times whenever I go home) is Millhollow Frozen Yogurt. As a kid, this was the greatest treat- and we only went on special occassions. I still remember the joy of getting a gift certificate for THREE STANDARDS (that's the adult size, not the kid size) from Brooke Smith for my 7th Birthday. Ah, heaven.
Now, there are several options for good FroYo in NYC (Pink Berry, Red Mango, etc...) HOWEVER, nothing was Millhollow (notice the past tense).
Cut to Thursday after walking across the Bklyn Bridge for the AIDS rally. John suggested we go to 16 Handles. I had never heard of it, but agreed.
I walked in and IT SMELLED LIKE MILLHOLLOW. Along the wall were 16 self serve frozen yogurt handles with flavors like tart peach, tart strawberry, tart mango (all my fav Millhollow flavors). The best part is... IT TASTED LIKE MILLHOLLOW.
I did not even try to explain to John the miracle he had provided. There were no words. I was afraid he wouldn't understand.
Although 16 Handles is nowhere near my house, my job site, my school, etc... I have a feeling I am going to be looking for more excuses to get down to Union Square.
Great. Now I am craving 16 Handles. Gotta run.

2 comments:

Emilee said...

Hear Hear! I have to stop at Millhollow everytime I go to Rexburg. Definately the best frozen yogurt ever. I am glad you found a such a great substitute in NYC. I am still looking for a place to get my frozen yogurt fixes here in Tooele.

sara said...

I LOVE millhollow. Oh how I love millhollow. Wow. That post takes me back to my Rexburg days. There are NO frozen yogurt places where I live. So sad! If I ever make it to NY I'm stopping at that place for sure!