Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's Tony Time!


It's that time of year again... the annual Tony Awards.
Growing up in Idaho I would look forward to this award show the way sport fans anticipate the Superbowl. This was my chance to catch a glimpse of Broadway musical numbers from my living room (as this was years before Internet, youtube, or even DVD's of hit musicals).
I have to say, I have (sadly) become highly disillusioned about the politics of the Tony awards. Shows that, in my fairly educated and experienced opinion, should be nominated, are not. This year is no exception (HELLO!!! [title of show] for best musical!!!).
I have been able to attend the Tony's several times, but to be honest, I find them more enjoyable from the comfort of my living room -and I don't have to wear heels either. I will certainly watch this year and support my friends who are nominated and involved with nominated shows.
Last week I went to a couple plays in order to have a more informed opinion of the pending awards.
My brief reviews of shows I saw this week:
Mary Stuart:

I have an affinity for historical plays. Mary Stuart chronicles the last few months of Mary, the rightful heir to the English throne, trying to persuade her cousin Queen Elizabeth I to release her from prison and pardon her death sentence.
Superb performances redeem this otherwise unexciting piece of theater.

Desire Under the Elms:

I am embarrassed to admit, one of the things that drew me to this play was the chance to see Carla Gugino's performance. Why would I hesitate to admit this??? Because the reason for my affection is that she was my favorite character in my favorite childhood movie "Troop Beverly Hills."
She stole the scene then, and again this week at the St. James Theater.
If you are looking for some entertainment with full frontal male nudity and mother's murdering their babies... be sure to catch this HIT before it closes.
Congrats and Good Luck to all the nominees!

1 comment:

Vinnie said...

OK Karyn, I had no Idea Troop Beverly Hills was your favorite childhood movie. Did you know I am in the movie? I am in the final scene at the jamboree, and my sister is a red feather? Totally met up with Carla Gugino and Tori Spelling before she was anything to remember...who knew?