Thursday, November 26, 2009

Got no diamonds, got no wealth. I got no man, but I got my health.


In continuing with the thanksgiving theme, my #3 gratitude would have to be health.
Health is one of those things that you don't really appreciate until it's compromised. Overall, I have been very lucky. Sure, I should take better care of myself by going to the gym and eating healthier, and anyone who knows me knows I am incredibly clumsy. However, for better or worse- I have a body that works. Not always perfectly- but I can walk without a wheelchair, I can live in a 5th floor walk-up building, I can think logically and use reason, I can feel emotion and (usually) respond appropriately in social settings. My heart beats on its own. I can see, hear, speak, smell, and feel. I am not in pain. I am blessed (now I really feel like I need to reward my body by hitting the running track).
Enjoy some of my favorite pics from some of my 'less healthy' life moments.
An unfortunate slip in the shower gave me an awesome shiner (2002)

About once a year I will slip, trip, or fall and end up with a horribly sprained ankle

In 2003 money got so tight I made extra income by being a lab rat at Columbia Medical School

After 20 years of never having stitches, a broken bone, or spending the night in a hospital- I had unexpected major surgery (note that I have needles in my neck and hand, a tube in my nose, monitors on my chest, and am hooked up to every machine on that wall). 1998 was a rough year.

No comments: